View post (Is it over?)

View thread

aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
10/18/2023 1:10 am

I agree - TrueFire is awesome. The sheer volume of quality content (tutorials, courses, learning paths, lick collections, etc) is staggering. The same cannot be said for their song catalog which is geared almost entirely toward new beginners. Always good to have plenty of songs for new students... but TrueFire offers very little else, which is definitely not cool.

The aforementioned newly added Green Day song is "Good Riddance", which Billy Joe Armstrong plays in a predominantly arpeggiated fashion. TrueFire instructor Chris Buono teaches a version of the song that utilizes a total of four 2-finger power chords, one strum per measure, all the way through. The Derek and the Dominoes/Duane Allman slide guitar tutorial is a stripped down "Easy" version that is played almost entirely between the 6th and 8th frets. That's ridiculous. Even the Van Halen songs are the "Easy" versions meant for beginners. I don't get it. The rest of the site is geared heavily toward intermediate to advanced players.

If it's quality authentic (as originally recorded) song tutorials that you're after, I don't think you can top Guitar Tricks.

edited