View post (Encyclopedia of Awesome Tones)

View thread

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/06/2003 3:52 am
Originally posted by PonyOne
My recipe for great tone...

-chambered mahogany body or denser/more resonant wood
-maple/bubinga through-neck
-DiMarzio ToneZone bridge p/u
-Benedetto neck humbucker
-StarrLabs 4-band EQ
-vintage Vox AC30 top boost and a Mesa Dual Recto road king

Just a couple questions... have you given thought to the ToneZone? It's more versatile than the SD2, it's also got a less scratchy clean tone (though the clean has a little more overdrive). The thing I love the most about them is the fact that they respnd to you picking dynamics... very cool.

I have 2 personalities, as far as guitar. I have one side of my brain (the analytical side) saying "Get the most options as you can, see what you can do with the technological wonders of electronical differences...", you know, the analytical part of my brain wants to see how far i can stretch it, stretch the possibilities, which is where my extremely long and complicated lists of guitar modifications come from. The other side (the creative side) says "You have Master Tone, Master Volume, a 3 way selector, you can do more with that then you can with silly effects and modifications." To tell you the truth, I've been listening to Santana extensively for the past few days, and have been really liking him more now than ever.

But, just because I like Santana doesn't mean I'll go out and buy a PRS- I hate the PRS headstocks (I prefer the good ole' gibson headstocks), and I do not like the Tremelos, and i'd rather have custom inlays than the paua birds. I've been considering getting a custom guitar with no inlays, aka Allen Holdsworth Fatboy style. Why? Inlays tend to send messages to your brain, as recognized parts of the fretboard. By getting rid of the inlays, and just having the whole fretboard with, say a nice wood like Ebony, it forces your brain to truly know the fretboard, you know? It's an interesting thought, I wonder how many people have considered that possibility on this forum.

It's funny to see the direct opposite to my first post on here...I'm wondering how many of us guitarists are like that, you know, have 2 personalities as far as music goes...Thoughts?

~Incidents