View post (Cool Chord Progressions)

View thread

TheDirt
TheDirt
05/30/2003 1:54 pm
When I go out of town, I usually attend a local church. At one church, I heard a song with some nice jazzy changes so when I got home I worked out a close rendition on my guitar. This is what I came up with (p.s. - if anyone knows the song, please tell me)

First, here are the vanilla chords that I used as a skeleton...
( Ebm, Bbm ), ( Cb, Db )

Now the jazzier changes...
( Ebm7, Bbm7 ), ( Cbmaj7, Db, Bb/D )

Adn finally, the way I play it in case you want to try it yourself...

|----------------------------|
|-6h7--6--676-----7----6---6-|
|-6----6-----6----8----6---7-|
|-6h8--6---------8-----6---8-|
|-6------------------4---5---|
|------6-6------7--7---------|

My rhythm in the tab isn't exactly right... the 6, 7, 6 thing over the Bbm7 chord is a triplet, etc. Just play it until it sounds good to you. I noticed that the rhythm is different from most songs... The first chord of the first measure gets 3 8th counts, and the second chord gets 5 8ths. The first chord of the second measure gets 3 8ths, the second chord gets 2 8ths, and the 3rd chord gets 3 8ths. It's this ahead of the beat playing with the jazzy chords that makes it sound so good. Hope you like :)
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster