Whats the best concert you've ever been to?

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/02/2003 2:14 am
Originally posted by Led Zeppelin
I want to go see Ben Harper live, Ive heard his live album and its great. A friends been getting me into him lately, all Ive heard is great. The tracks I have at the moment are Pain and Pleasure and The Drugs Dont Work(Verve cover), what else do you recommend until i get the cash to buy the album?

Excuse Me, Mr.
Ground on Down
Mamma's Got a Girlfriend
Like a King
Another Lonely Day
Burn To Shine
Suzie Blue
Forgiven

I've never seen a show where the frontman sat down almost the whole show and STILL sucked everybody in the way Ben Harper did. And his bassist, Juan Nelson is The Man. Killer phrazing, and he's no slouch in the technique department, either.

Heh, the percussionist couldn't look at Juan for the first few songs without cracking up - he's a funny dude to watch on stage.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
metalisbest
metalisbest
06/02/2003 2:29 am
Hes coming to my town to do a radio festival. I wasn't going to go because all of the bands suck except Ben Harper. Ya'll say he is so good, I might have to go see him.
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/02/2003 12:50 pm
Originally posted by PonyOne
Originally posted by metalisbest
I doubt it but thats cool.

Sorry, meant to elaborate, but I was on the way out...

They seemed to be focusing more on drinking beer and impressing the half-nude drunk girls in the cages on either side of the stage than they were actually soundin good. It's not that they were messing up or anything like that, it just seemed like they were totally not into it, and way more into looking cool. By this point they had GOT THE LIFE, you know... I liked Korn up until I saw this show, then I wasn't that impressed.

Then like a month later Fieldy is on Cribs and is showing off how he always had a wad of hundreds the size of his fist in his pocket and how he has a Navigator with 22's and like 8 TV's... yeah it's all about the rock dude...

You forgot the complaining about being a rock star part...

And the bootlegs I saw were just baaaad. Like, making-POD-look like-a-tight-band bad.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 3
metalisbest
metalisbest
06/02/2003 2:46 pm
Thanks for elaborating Ponyone. I understand now.
# 4
David C
David C
06/02/2003 2:46 pm
My first time seeing the Allman Brothers in 1990 or so in Charlotte, NC, with Blues Traveler opening up for them. What a show! Dickie Betts was awesome.
"It's all right son . . . we told you what to dream"
# 5
sithgt6
sithgt6
06/02/2003 4:36 pm
Alice Cooper at the Riviera in Chicago, IL
(the man himself - inspiring)

Metallica MOP's w/Cliff opening for Ozzy at Alpine Valley, WI
(freaking mad I tell you - outstanding!)

AC/DC countless times in WI and IL
(just can't go wrong there)

KISS in Rockford, IL
(different)

D>
# 6
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
06/02/2003 7:42 pm
Best all out show.....Alice Cooper (1988?)
Most fun show......The Grateful Dead
Best dead show...Nassua Collaseum w/special guest Branford Marsalis (91?)

Other great bands I've seen live:
Phish, Primus, Allman Bros., Charlie Hunter, Mike Stern, Chick Corea, MichaelBrecker....I've seen a lot of concerts but those names really stand out as being exceptional shows.
# 7
Jowin
Jowin
06/02/2003 10:20 pm
Machine Head playing Ten Ton Hammer 2002 in London .

Was great! :D
sgfhsdfgh
# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/02/2003 11:48 pm
Originally posted by PonyOne
Originally posted by Raskolnikov
You forgot the complaining about being a rock star part...

And the bootlegs I saw were just baaaad. Like, making-POD-look like-a-tight-band bad.

Yeah, I really have no pity for a band that complains about how they're rock stars and they can't stand it. "Oh no, I had no idea that people would want me to SIGN THINGS and TALK TO ME and stuff like that every time I walked down the street, and that girls (and guys sometimes) would write me letters about how I'm their favorite fantasy to get off to at night, I mean I just thought I was going to record a few songs, tour, act really cool, do some interviews on MTV, shoot some videos, and then I'd just have a huge mansion and a Ferrari on dubz and everyone would leave me alone."[/B]

"I'm really not complainin' I realize it's just a job
And I hate hearing belly achin' rock stars whine and sob
'Cause I could be bussing tables, I could well be pumping gas
But I get paid much finer for playing piano and kissing ass."
-Ben Folds, One Down
I don't think anybody's put it better than that.

And I was born about thirty miles from where G.G. grew up.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
06/03/2003 2:09 am
G.G. Allin, damn ihaven't heard that name in a long time. Is that guy still alive? I thought he was going to commit suicide on stage during a Halloween concert or something.
# 10
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/03/2003 5:29 pm
Originally posted by Raskolnikov
...maybe they aren't a good live band...

If you can't just get hold of your guitar and play(which is what most people I know do,only when it's a show,there's folks watching and all that),then what kind of guitarist are you?
Maybe some people get inspired by the quiet of a soundproofed studio,or playing in front of this long machine with loads of similar looking knobs.
# 11
Grub
Grub
06/06/2003 1:18 pm
For the sheer intense head-f**k it was probably Ministry here in Blightly a few years back. Al Jourgenson with his mic draped with fake skulls. Closely followed by Faith No More when Mike Patton was starting to get truly mental. Loved to've seen Van Halen DLR era, AC/DC with Bon Scott and the Tubes when they recorded the 'What do you want from live' album.
# 12
theeshredder
theeshredder
06/07/2003 7:31 am
BEST SHOW:black sabbath ozzfest 2001 man those guys are just insane live for being old
FUN SHOW: system of a down 2000 they didnt even get to play it was a free show behind capital records in hollywood and it just turned into a riot i got my lil hands on a nice ibanez iceman and my friend almost got a 24 track mixer with all these rack mounted effects until he got shot with a rubber bullet by the cops
CRAZIEST SHOW:slipknot 2001 man i thought slayer pits were insane i literally had to fight for my life in that pit
"to shred or not to shred that is thee question"
# 13
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
06/07/2003 11:49 pm
Hmmm, so you like to steal things and beat people up, you sound like a fun guy to hang out with.
# 14
theeshredder
theeshredder
06/10/2003 6:23 am
nah i dont like to fight im a mellow person but thats what a slipknot pit does forces you to mosh
"to shred or not to shred that is thee question"
# 15
The 'D'
The 'D'
06/10/2003 9:47 pm
Seen lots of great bands, Pink Floyd at Earls Court, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Offspring.
Hard to say which was the best. The Floyd concert was an amazing spectical, even if you dont like their music, the light show is worth the ticket price. Both Maiden and the Offspring are great live. They have loads of energy
'D'
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.