View post (Goldmine of backing tracks)

View thread

Digit
Digit
05/04/2003 11:20 pm
They're the guys who basically shut down the sharing of free copyrighted midi files on the web. I had a whole bunch of cover tunes on my own website a few years ago until I got a cease and desist order from them.
I even tried to go legit, but the cost of publishing just one tune was in the thousands and a massive pain in the butt, so I gave up.

For instance after I wrote to Harry Fox Agency (below), I then wrote to several publishers.... half of them wouldn't give the rights up for internet use, the others wanted seperate legal forms for each country and literally thousands of bucks depending on how many people downloaded each tune.

Please be advised that if you are making a recording for a cassette, CD or LP etc., you will need to obtain a mechanical license for each copyright protected work. Please note that The Harry Fox Agency does not issue this type of license outside the United States. If you require a mechanical license, please contact CMRRA.

Our Internet synchronization licenses, on the other hand, can be issued outside the USA. No one can obtain this license over the Internet - there is appropriate paperwork that will need to be completed.

Please note that The Harry Fox Agency cannot issue a synchronization license for "Every Breath You Take" written by Sting. The publisher of this title is EMI and we do not issue this type of license on their behalf. Please contact them directly at 212-830-5118.

Please provide the song title, song writer and music publisher information of the other title you wish to use and we will confirm if we can issue the Synchronization license you seek. If not, you will have to contact this publisher directly. This can all be done by filling out forms and mailing in payment.

Please note that there are no pre-determined, set fees for a synchronization license. There is no range, or ball park rate that The Harry Fox Agency can provide. It is at the sole discretion of the publisher how much to charge for a synchronization license.

If you have any further questions or require additional assistance, please feel free to reply to aweiner@harryfox.com or contact the Client Relations department at the number provided below.

PLEASE INCLUDE ALL MESSAGES IF REPLYING!

Regards,

Amy Weiner
Inquiry Agent
Client Relations
PH: (212)834-0100
FAX: (646)487-6779
aweiner@harryfox.com