View post (Any Ideas for Amps?)

View thread

John O'Carroll
John O'Carroll
12/20/2000 1:53 pm
Have you thought about a Deluxe Reverb ? Probably can find one in youe price range. One 12" speaker, 40 lbs (my Super weighs 86 lbs. !), 22 LOUD watts (22 watts is 78% as loud as 50 watts), that incomparable vintage Fender tube tone. If you're not driving the power tubes of your Super (too loud, I know), you can definitely drive a Deluxe and put away some of those pedals. By the way, I strongly recommend you have the all the caps replaced (if you haven't already) in your Super. Aging capacitors slowly suck tone from your amp over time. Your Super is 35 years old and the caps should have been replaced at least twice if not 3 times by now. Just good amplifier maintenance. Also have the pots cleaned, the tube sockets cleaned and retensioned, and have the tech check all your tubes as well. Your blackface Super is selling for $1700 and up ! Fender has just announced a reissue of the '65 Super Reverb - list price I believe was $1799. Take good care of that baby and if you EVER think of selling it let me know ! Good luck.