View post (Any Ideas for Amps?)

View thread

Jon68
Jon68
12/20/2000 12:11 am
If I could find another Super in my price range, that would be my first choice. Mine is a '65 model (date code August 65) that I bought from a relative in the Spring of '66. The Super has all original Fender Special Design speakers and has been worked on twice in 35 years - the first time was to replace the line cord with a 3-wire cord, the second was due to my own carelessness, I changed output tubes and didn't have the amp rebiased; some resistors in the output stage failed. This didn't happen overnight, but over a period of years.
I play in a church band (two guitars, keyboard and drums; still looking for a bass player) that plays contemporary Christian music. Pretty cool church! On Wednesdays the band plays for a teen youth service in the basement. I have been lugging the Super up and down a narrow set of stairs for about six months and really need something reasonable that I can leave set up in the basement. I usually play my American Deluxe Strat, but sometimes use my '68 Les Paul Custom (bought new) for a little fuller, heavier sound in the youth service. I use a reissue Tube Screamer and a Dano Chorus and Delay. I have also installed a Hicks Mender, which turns the amp into a channel-switching system, chaining the clean and reverb channel. If I didn't have to keep the volume down, I wouldn't even use the pedals.
I have never felt the urge to replace my Super, so I haven't looked at amps until the upstairs-downstairs trek began. I was hoping to get some opinions about used amps or some of the mid-line tube amps or modeling amps - it's very hard to make a decision based on Music Store trials.