View post (Interesting shredders please!)

View thread

u10ajf
u10ajf
03/29/2003 6:18 pm
WHAT WOULD YOU CALL NEO-CLASSICAL?
Having heard Becker (thank's for the tip off guys, he's a hot shredder) and bought his CD I'd have said he was DEFINITELY Neo-Classical because of his tone and the amount of Sweeping he does. On the other hand I'd even call some Satch Neo - like for instance Midnight (which Is a tapping piece) and maybe Echo. Terje Rypdal (when he isn't playing jazz) often plays with orchestral instruments but I wouldn't call him Neo-classical 'cause that term is associated closely with all out shred, Rypdal's style is more based around volume swells, bends and pinches. Arguably he's more neo-classical than any of those shredders but I think he's been booted out of his pigeon hole by the other type of neos!

TOO MUCH KNOWLEDGE = TOO LITTLE INSPIRATION?
Most neo though bores the crap out of me. I think perhaps the effort of getting technically proficient enough to play it perhaps removes that feeling of adventure from guitar playing. I don't know the fretboard 100%, sometimes I'm not sure what the next note I'm going to play will sound like, thereafter the next note can help the previous one to fit in. That element of surprise can be refreshing. I think that experimental approach used to yield better music for me than has picking up more shapes and scales. It's getting me stuck in ruts. I think this increasing reliance upon patterns and sweeps might have helped to atrophy my imagination. Perhaps that's why so many of these technically awesome players are so boring.

IF YOU LIKE BECKER TRY ALSO TONY MACALPINE
The most similar player I've ever heard to him is probably Tony MacAlpine, if you guys like Becker you ought to buy "Edge of Insanity" by MacAlpine. MacAlpine plays piano for Steve Vai... personally I think he ought to play guitar for Vai also! This sickeningly talented man can also play Chopin stuff on piano flawlessly and up to speed... AGGHH!!
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?