View post (Is Rock n' Roll Dead?)

View thread

LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
11/26/2000 4:59 pm
What's wrong with funk? But really, of course that style of rock isn't popular anymore, find me a style of music that has continued to reach the top of the charts for over a decade and I'll be pretty surprised. Remember, even the bands you like, let's say Zeppelin, were subject to the whims of recording companies. What I mean is that if they weren't selling huge ammounts of records, they wouldn't have been able to continue to exist. As for modern rock sucking, sure it does, but that's the stuff on MTV and radio, why in the world would you make your judgements about the music that's out there today based on those media? In terms of rock, I would point you towards lesser known bands like Phish and String Cheese Incident and Aquarium Rescue Unit. Never heard of them, well you won't find them on MTV. Also, whether the music you like is popular should make absolutely NO DIFFERENCE to you. I don't complain about how nobody in my high school likes Miles Davis cause I don't expect them to, and I know that his music will live on whether or not teeny boppers buy it. Seriously I don't quite understand what you're complaining about. Even when bands like zeppelin were popular, most of their fans were just putting on whole lotta love at parties and letting it be background music IN THE SAME WAY that people use Blink182 today. While you may think there was a period when people knew what was going on, listened to good music, and appreciated it, looking at the large majority of the people in the country/world that has never been true. When people listened to zeppelin in the 70s, if you asked them why most of them would've given you the same half assed responses that you hear today for bands like Blink. Uh, it's got a good beat. Robert Plant is hot. I like that one song they have, you know, the long one, it's cool. Would you reather that everybody superficially liked zeppelin than everybody superficially likes blink?
Are you woried that the style will die out? Don't be, I'm not sure that any real style of music ever has. They just fade out of the limelight, which in some ways is good.