View post (Talent show gone horribly wrong...)

View thread

TheDirt
TheDirt
03/19/2003 3:21 am
During my senior year of high school, me and my friends played gigs for parties every couple weekends. Our band became pretty well known, and everyone regarded us as the best musicians around. Well, after a few months of this none-serious gigging, we decided to hit up the school talent show. Well, we got placed dead last on the program, which was exactly what we wanted. We got more applause when we came out onto the stage than anyone got AFTER performing their material. We did our song ("Betterman" by Pearl Jam) including an improvised solo that I nailed perfectly near the end of the song and we were the only act to get a standing ovation from the crowd. Well, everyone (including the other performers in the show) told us we had 1st place in the bag. Then they started calling out the winners... they called us up for Honorable Mention (which is approx. 9th place out of about 15 performers). The audienced started booing and yelling "F*** the judges!" and almost half the audience literally got up and left. The next morning there were shreds of like 20 talent show fliers scattered on the ground outside the auditorium. The crowd's reaction to our losing was quite wonderful in my opinion, but our bass player went a bit overboard... he has quite the temper. After they handed him his trophy he went outside and slammed it into the ground, breaking it in half. He then proceeded to kick a hole in the wall of a shed outside the auditorium.

I probably made that seem like it happened a long time ago, but I'm 18, and still a senior and high school. This happened earlier this year, and people STILL can't get over the judging... (and we're still deemed the best band around... no one else in school gets asked to play at parties other than us)

[Edited by TheDirt on 03-18-2003 at 09:31 PM]
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster