View post (Fretting hand positioning problems)

View thread

meloquence
Full Access
meloquence
Full Access
04/07/2023 2:50 pm

Hi 👋 

I've recently been learning the D and C major chords and have been replaying the lesson over the past few days because I'd like for it to sound exactly how it's meant to before I move on. 

I have been having trouble with making sure my fingertips are directly on the strings. I try to rotate my left hand around so that it makes my fingers more "straight on" but really struggling with accidently muting (is that the right word?) strings underneath. I find myself moving the guitar around on my lap from left to right but that's making my positioning on the fretboard incorrect because I think I'm on the right fret and I'm not because I've shifted. I've been sitting on my bed half cross-legged to try and play because it feels comfortable but could this be hindering me? 

I started off my guitar learning with some books I had where it was just finger picking with single notes and so because I was just holding down one string at at time I never had to worry if my fingers where at an angle because it didn't matter as I was only plucking one string. Maybe this put my left fingers in a bad habit of not being "front on" to the fretboard? 🤔 

Any suggestions or guidance is much appreciated 🙂

edited

•meloquence•