View post (IS It All About Me or About the Band. Or Whats behind door number 3?)

View thread

Gray Dude
Gray Dude
04/05/2023 9:26 pm

I have a conflict in my band and I’m looking for some words of advice please.

I the band we let in person suggest a song they would like to play. Then we vote if we want to play it majority wins.

So we voted on a song and it was picked. However my bass player decided differently. Came up with the following comment: “Bass line downright sucks and is booooring. Wayyyy too repetative.”

One of the other’s mention that he could spice it up a bit. Which he likes to do to many of the songs. I’m OK with it to a point as long as it doesn’t deter to far from the song. We are mostly a cover band.

My comment: I don’t mind changing things a bit. As long as we keep in mind that when the singer is singing we do everything to support and make that sound the best the same for the solos we make that person shine.

He does not agree and feels he has the right to veto. I think he feels he has to rewrite it just because its simple, which he does not, its good just as it is in its simple form.

This type of response is new to me and I feel it’s quite selfish. Normally for me I’m happy to play whatever song someone suggests and we give it a try. There are many songs that are repetitive but that doesn’t mean that its a bad song. Many songs with just two chords and simple rhythm.

Anyway I meet with him Friday to help him learn his parts for the new songs and also talk to him about this.  Any suggestions on the best way to handle? I honestly feel like kicking him out of the band but don’t want to be too rash.

Thanks!