View post (Fender Champion 40)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
04/05/2023 12:29 am
#8 Originally Posted by: deepiper9

My Affinity Tele is a 2019-2020 model I think. I got it as a  Fathers Day gift from my wife and son right after all the Covid-19 madness started. It does'nt have the belly cut outs on the back like the newer Affinity Tele's. It's more old school Tele. Heavier than the newer Affinity Tele's. I have seen one of the candy apple red with sparkles like the one in the video. 

You mentioned a couple of Blackstar amps  in one of the previous posts. Do you own one? I have a BlackStar Fly 3 mini amp. Small little battery powered amp that sounds great. I use it in our bedroom for practicing over lunch breaks from work and whatnot. I plan on taking it on the road with me when I go on vacation later this year. Very light and  easy to use. 

Fender's current business practice is to change the contractual OEMs of their Squier Bullet and Affinity series Telecasters frequently, so batches from year to year or into different markets domestic and international can emanate from different manufacturing origins. Mine (2022 model), was manufactured in China and differs from the Indonesian manufactured ones of previous years in several respects, positively I'm pleased to say. Affinitys were manufactured in both Indonesia and China during the period yours was built, which will be annotated on the back of its headstock. Current model Affinitys are made in Indonesia and have changed in several respects from production of 2019 through 2021, COVID years when production was severely reduced and facilities stressed.

I have some pretty high BQ as in flawless comparatives, and have to say I was astonished at the QC, BQ, and finish on the Squier Bullet Telecaster 2022 model example I received. I even lucked it with a dark shaded Laurel fingerboard on my build. So a tick to Fender in that regard. Astonishing even at its regular price point. I felt like I stole it at the price I bought mine for at a boxshifter's Boxing Day sale. Interestingly, according to the information on Fenders' own US and Australian websites, (I can access both courtesy of VPN regardless they forcefully regionally auto redirect) the standard Squier Bullet Telecaster models currently distributed both in America and Australia are both the Chinese production models available in only the standard two colours of Black or Brown Sunburst. No FSR Bullets distributed or available in Australia. I made my own with that 4 ply Black Pearl pickguard. 

Including a Blackstar Unity 60 bass amp, I currently own and use 9 standalone amps excluding a portable PA and other amp simulator pedals or devices like the NUX Might Plug.  Seven of those standalone amps are Blackstar and the other two are Fender. So yes, I own and use Blackstar and am undeniably a Blackstar amplification afficionado.

Fly 3's are superb and versatile practice mini-amps. I wouldn't be without one. Mine sees regular use.

I'd actually like to buy the recently released Blackstar Debut 50R (MOSFET tech) amp. Like the Fender Champion 40, although different tech it takes the KISS 2 channel approach. But, although its price is very very right, I can't justify the spend when I already have tools that do an adequate job for me. OTOH I'd be very tempted toward one if I didn't own an amp looking for my first or even second amp. If they come up on can't not super sale I may buy one out of curiosity later this year or next, but I had a big spending year the past 12 months in the particular, so my budget is under self restriction right now.