View post (A special one for the acoustic fingerstyle focused players out there)

View thread

mjgodin
mjgodin
01/29/2023 5:24 pm

Thanks for the link manxcat.

There's been a lot of tutorials popping up on YouTube lately, though not as extensive as this one you linked,  ever since Rick Beato featured it in one of his videos. 

In it  he was wondering if any younger generation could relate to a song like this with these lyrics. Written in a time period of phone booths, operators, and placing a call for just a dime. His guest was Mary Spender. A prolific songwriter, musician, and singer herself but at 32 years young he wanted to know how she interpreted the lyrics. Definitely worth checking out. I'll leave the link here. 
https://youtu.be/Yan-qTEG4lI

So back to the lesson, as a graduate of the Lisa McCormick school of fingerpicking I gave it a go. Sadly I didn't make it past the third chord in the intro. The picking pattern doesn't scare me so much as all the minute subtleties and flavor fills within the rapid fire chord swings that will send any beginner or even most intermediate guitar players packing up their guitar cases. That's ok even Rick and Mary found it quite challenging so I don't feel so bad. 

They certainly don't write them like this anymore. Thanks again, You can keep the dime. Lol. 

Moe