View post (Advice)

View thread

DKdelta9
DKdelta9
11/27/2022 2:37 am

I don't know if this is the right place to post this question. I think I'm in an odd, self-created dilemma. It's probably more of a philosophical or psychological issue than a pro musician one. But I'm tossing it out in hopes that I connect with someone who'll give me a new perspective, or some profound bit of advice. 

I started playing the drums as a serious endeavor at about the age of 12. I got my first paying gig within a couple years. In high school I fiddled around with guitar and piano and then took up those instruments more seriously during my 20s. I ended up gigging as a professional bassist for a number of years, fronted a couple rock bands as a singer/guitarist, and I accumulated a tremendous amount of recording equipment and started producing music over the course of a couple decades. I've also been teaching students on four instruments for a long time.  All along I still took gigs on drums here and there and due to my early start in life, that's probably my most competent instrument. 
When I hit middle age I settled down and started a family. Having two young kids almost extinguished all practical possibilities, and motivation, to produce or even gig much for about 5 years. 
 Cutting to the chase - I'm at a point when I really want to tie up loose ends on dozens of half written/recorded songs and return to some kind of professional music life. But the dilemma is with regard to what to focus on instrumentally. I go around and around like a cat chasing his tail on this - with a thought process something like

"Drums is my best instrument and I should really focus on that and practice every day. I could take plenty of drum gigs and play at a pretty high-level with good players, I'm not very interested in playing with a mediocre bar band. On the other hand, I probably enjoy playing bass more and if I hunker down I'm sure I could excel there as well. However, I've always wanted to be a more confident guitarist, and I wonder what my potential would be if I practice guitar every day? But who the hell needs another guitar player? What would I do with that? I've got friends that are brilliant guitar players, and in my 40s, how good would I actually get? Why wouldn't I improve something I am already quite a bit better at?"
And if that's not enough, I've always wanted to work through a couple of great piano books I've worked in here and there over the years.

None of this is a humble brag. I know that being a dabbler, and a jack of all trades, means i'll always be a master of none. However, I really do genuinely enjoy playing all those instruments. There's not enough time in the day to get a lot better at ALL of them, and failing to focus on one makes me overwhelmed, so I don't work on anything!
Feel free to hit me with any obvious wisdom that I'm just missing. 

peace 

DK