View post (bends for complete beginner)

View thread

Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
11/16/2022 3:50 am
#1 Originally Posted by: tammielyn.ts

i am trying to find in GT a set of tutorials on bending.  to start from step one.  sometimes i do it, other times my fingers go under the strings, is there a set of lessons for complete beginners in the GT library?  thanks everyone!  i don't have a problem on electric but acoustic i do. 

Hi tammielyn,

There is a lot (!) of info on bending on the site.  It's scattered around a bit, but almost all of the instructors have their own take on it.  Christopher and Anders both have dedicated modules that I've been through and they're excellent.

I'm an old time acoustic (finger style) player trying to learn electric lead and, believe it or not, I've gone through all of my lessons here first on acoustic and then on electric.  That includes all of the bending stuff.  I've found that while bending on the acoustic, my left hand actually was changing position - pushing away from the bend.  As I bent the string, my wrist would move away from the bend causing me to further extend my finger to maintain the correct tone.

Once I figured out what was going on, I concentrated on keeping my hand in place and (especially with the acoustic) using a second finger to support the bend.  My acoustic has a cutaway, so I can pretty much bend with one finger from the 9th or 10th fret up to the 15th.  From 4th fret to the 9th, I almost always bend with 2 fingers.

My only problem on bending with the electric now is "over bending" because of all the work I put in on the acoustic.

Perhaps watching your wrist/hand position, getting the right angle of attack, and using a supporting finger will help.

Rumble