View post (While the 'civilized world' looked elsewhere...)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/06/2003 6:50 pm
Originally posted by noticingthemistake
I think your right Rask, but dropping a few hundred bombs over baghdad isnt going to change Saddam's mind.

Of course it isn't going to change his mind. It's going to remove him from power. After that, what's on his mind doesn't matter.
If Saddam is the tyrant we say he is, do you think he cares about his people.

Of course he doesn't care about his people. He's been using his people's suffering and natural human empathy abroad for leverage in acheiving his goals for the past decade. I've said many times that if Saddam cared about his people over half a million of them wouldn't have starved under UN sanctions these past 12 years. If he cared he would have disarmed years ago, proven it via inspections and this would have been done and over with by the mid 90s.
And who do you think is going to die when we drop bombs?? The innocents Iraqis, which have done NOTHING to us.

Many, many more innocent people are likely to die if we do nothing, but that's OK because starvation's quiet, right?

Outside of Iraq's Ba'ath party (a minority group within a minority group), Saddam doesn't have supporters. bin Laden's supporters point to the plight of Iraqi civillians starving under sanctions and the presence of US troops in Saudi Arabia (stationed there since Iraq invaded Kuwait to keep Saddam in line) as some of their key greivances. How does removing Saddam from power make any of those problems worse?

[Edited by Raskolnikov on 03-06-2003 at 12:53 PM]
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons