Simons first GT song

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/18/2003 5:02 pm
Reversing the connections on one of the speakers is not, repeat not likely to harm anything.

But consider this: if the phase cancellation was effective, you would not be able to hear anything! If the phase cancellation at the microphone (near your mouth, right?) was total, it would also be total at your ears, because the wave-length at audio frequencies is several feet long.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2003 5:42 pm
Check this out, the bit Im on about is on page 4:

http://www.intermusic.com/article.asp?ReviewId=1390&ArticleTable=Features&FeatureType=TUT&Channel=RCD&PageNo=4
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/18/2003 7:38 pm
I still find it a difficult proposition. A microphone like a shure KSM 44 can pick up the sound of a pin hitting the floor. They are just too sensitive to try to use the monitors while singing. If you can hear the monitors the mic is going to pick it up too. The big problem with this is when you go to EQ the vocals, since the frequencies from the monitor will mix in with the recorded vocal. You'll find yourself trying to boost a frequency but your picking up a mix of vocal and monitor. I still like the headphone proposition.

I was thinking on this a little, you could try using a different mic for vocals. Like a SM57 works great, and won't pick up the monitors as much as a KSM44. Just a thought.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2003 7:49 pm
I agree, just a thought. I also find that with the 44, you have to be careful (even using closed headphones) of feedback loops ! I can imagine small glass objects exploding quite unexpectedly using the monitors on approach !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/21/2003 11:10 pm
Haha, yeah and you probably won't be able to have kids either. Simon, feedback from the headphones shouldn't be a problem even using a mic like that. Your vocals should drownd out the headphones rather easily if your headphones aren't up to loud. :) You will always hear it alittle bit when your not singing; to get rid of it just apply some noise gate. Make sure your threshold is 'just' cutting out the headphones or any other unwanted background noise(usually -15 to -20db, also fast attack and slow decay). Too much threshold and you'll effect the vocals which you don't want to do. If your still picking up the headphones at -15db , you probably got them up too loud.

The volume of the headphones should be at a comfortable volume. I know alot of people always want to turn it up above that, and believe it or not it will effect your singing. Too loud and it will force you to sing louder and as a result you'll usually be sharp. Too low and you'll be flat. You sing better when you sing at the volume you also clearly speak at. Your vocals will also be more powerful too, since they'll be clearer and more present. Singing louder makes you sing sharp, which is singing out of tune, which makes you disappear in the music. Samething will happen if you sing too low.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 5
amy17
amy17
03/07/2003 8:11 pm
I like Dreaming, and the lyrics too.. but since my english isn't so good, i was wondering if u can post the lyrics here ?!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.