View post (Simons first GT song)

View thread

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/17/2003 2:44 pm
Noticingthemistake, awesome post I’m going to print it and put it on the wall behind my mixer !

How would you feel about turning it into an article for the newsletter ? I wouldn't take much work as all the good stuff is already in there ! Id publish it in the March Issue !

As far as the vocals go, well that is a long story.

Basically there are about 4 or 5 vocal tracks in the mix on each song. The main vox is double tracked and the main track is panned slightly to the left. The double track is panned all the way to the right. This emphasizes any phase contrast between the two as well as adding thickness.

The real trick was good microphone technique and not monkeying with the signal too much. I put a mat down on the floor to mark the position of my feet relitave to the mic stand. The backing vox are recorded using the same settings as the main vox (including my wife’s girly backing vox in dreaming (+lots of reverse reverb)). Whilst recording I nailed a towel to the wall (behind the mic) to deaden any reverb from the wall.

I didn't use any echo or reverb on me as it knocked my headphones mix to hell and made me sing sharp / flat. Also in the headphones mix I only used the click track, one guitar (to get pitch and mark my place as well as any other vox tracks. There is a little compression / de-essing on all of the vox but not too much ! I thought about adding some reverb / delay during mix down but thought I could get away with out it so left it alone.

As far as kit is concerned I did both songs using a Shure KSM44 going into a Behringer Ultravoice pro into the desk. I was using an SM57 into an ART V3 TPS into an ART EQ into a midiverb4 but that was just whey too many buttons !

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS