View post (Simons first GT song)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/16/2003 9:22 pm
Simon, I know what you mean man. Recording drums with only 2 tracks is a hefty task. I know cause I've been through the same thing, but you pulled it off very well I must say. Try this since this is your case.

First record a dummy drum track, so when you record the other instruments they have something to follow. Record everything else and get a nice EQ and mix, then record the drums again and do everything you need to do with them (EQ and Pan) to make them fit better with the other instruments. It's a rough job, but it will save you from the tedious work of leveling everything first. And then finding out it didn't work once you recorded everything else over the drums.

It's not the perfect solution, but in your case it should save you some time and also produce quicker and better results. I recommend recording each drum on a seperate track just so you have absolute control over everything when you do a final mix.

The vocals and guitar were really good. The low end on the bass was perfect, try adding alittle more EQ at around 800hz so you hear the notes(pitches) just alittle better. Also a very slight boost between 3-5k so you can hear the rhythm alittle better. Just stay away from 200hz, and actually if you can cut here 2 or 4 dec. This will bring out alittle more clarity on your low end.

I'm going to listen to "newmoon", I dig LOTR too.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.