View post (Solid State vs. Tube)

View thread

jav8599
jav8599
04/30/2012 5:34 am
o When it comes to all out metal gain,...without the volume of a tube amp, meaning to get the full overdrive and gain of an all valve amp,...you have to cook those tubes, or drive that amp at least 60-70% volume to experience the "BROWN SOUND". I, having over 30 yrs experience and growing up with 70's - 80's rock,...I am not such a snob anymore about all valve units. Marshall's solid state units provide the tone and high gain for lower and higher volume venues, while larger venues definitely will justify a 50-100 watt Marsall JCM, I just can't deal with the massive volume any longer. I have more control with today's technology solid state units at low volume, ex...practice, ... Actually I prefer that solid state definitive clipping gain these days as opposed to yester years louder than hell brown sound. I know I'm gonna get kdilled over this, but so be it. Don't be afraid or ashamed of the newer solid state technology. It's Killer to metal heads and with the right person behind the tone and gain adjustments, it will surprise you. Nobody wants to admit it, but here I am. There are also plenty of 5-15 watt lower output all tube combos and heads out there, but....you still can't beat the gain of either a solid state or DUAL RECTIFIER valve amp, which not many offer. I guess the jest of my rage here is attitude about solid state technology because of a lot of us older purists is simply gonna deny you of what may be the perfect sound for YOU! Try em all out and buy and use whatever gets you off. Respectfully submitted, a former Valve Snob.