View post (60 years ago!)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
10/07/2022 11:45 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: snojones

So I guess that.... It was 50 years ago today, Sargent Pepper taught us all how to play.

What I still find spectacular about the impact of The Beatles in their time, for me at least, was how certain moments of their songs, films or album releases were captured vividly in memory for me like the record provided by a time capsule. i.e. I recall precisely where I was, what I was doing, who I was with, even down to the time, season and weather on the day when I first saw and heard their "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album in 1967 on that June (winter's) day it released here in Australia. Exceeding even their later "Abbey Road" album numbers by 25%, sales volume were phenomenal considering Australia's total population of the time was just under 12 million, less than a third of the over 40 million population of just Califonia alone today! 

I remember the mixed feeling experience in that time frame. Radical departure and avant-guarde would be understatement. Regardless, one of my favourite Beatles songs released on that album, "A Day In The Life" (Lennon-McCartney).