Rhythm and Lead Lines

robscarveles
Full Access
robscarveles
Full Access
07/13/2022 9:44 pm

Hey all...

So, I am looking for a course of instruction taking me through how to insert lead lines into my chord patterns. For example, if I am playing an open E, then I would essentially insert a lead line within the notes associated with the open E.

With that said, I am thinking there should probably be a course or workshop within the GT website taking me from a beginner level to a more advance level in a series.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

[br]Rob

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/14/2022 2:49 pm
Originally Posted by: robscarveles

So, I am looking for a course of instruction taking me through how to insert lead lines into my chord patterns.[/quote][p]What is your current skill level? Are you working through any of the Fundamentals or Style courses?

The Style courses introduce the basics of lead playing. So you might find what you need there if you are still working through the basics.

[quote=robscarveles]For example, if I am playing an open E, then I would essentially insert a lead line within the notes associated with the open E.

If you are just getting started then I recommend this series of tutorials on the basics of combining rhythm & lead skills.

https://www.guitartricks.com/search.php?search=%22Blues+rhythm+%26+lead%22

Start with Series 1 & 2.

If you already have some of the skills required (understanding basic scales, playing single note lines), then this collection of tutorials will show you how to improvise. They start simple & basic, but get into more advanced ideas quickly. So that might fit your criteria for a complete course from beginner to advanced.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/learning-to-improvise

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have more questions!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
robscarveles
Full Access
robscarveles
Full Access
07/14/2022 3:02 pm

Chris... this is perfect!!! Exactly what I was looking for....I have been playing with this stuff, but, retired Air Force guys needs STRUCTURE!!! LOL!

I have done the rock level 1 and 2 with Anders not to mention a bunch of different classes and workshops.. I have alot of scales and use of modes in my toolkit.... so really, I need to master inserting the lead lines within rhythm and then of course, playing riffs.

The blues instruction will get me started on that path.

Thanks very much,

Rob

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/15/2022 4:06 pm

Good deal!

I have done the rock level 1 and 2 with Anders not to mention a bunch of different classes and workshops.. I have alot of scales and use of modes in my toolkit.... so really, I need to master inserting the lead lines within rhythm and then of course, playing riffs.

[p]That improvisation collection will show you how to turn scales into music!

Another important aspect of lead playing is that you have to have a ready repertoire of licks, a vocabulary of things to say. With that in mind you might also enjoy this collection of tutorials on build licks. They are focused on blues but of course applicable to many genres.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/Bread-and-Butter-Butter-Blues-Licks

Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
robscarveles
Full Access
robscarveles
Full Access
07/16/2022 2:08 pm

Thank you again Chris! I am doing your Blues Rhythm and Lead series. It's been SUPER helpful so far and I really enjoy your approach to instruction. I appreciate the time you take with it and the way you express what you are teaching! More to follow as I go through this entire series!

[br]Mucho thanks for the guidance; I am gonna master this series and go onto the Bread and Butter once I finish!

Rob

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/16/2022 2:46 pm

I am doing your Blues Rhythm and Lead series. It's been SUPER helpful so far and I really enjoy your approach to instruction. I appreciate the time you take with it and the way you express what you are teaching! More to follow as I go through this entire series![/quote][p]Good deal! Thanks for the positive feedback.

[quote=robscarveles]Mucho thanks for the guidance; I am gonna master this series and go onto the Bread and Butter once I finish!

Good plan!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.