View post (I changed strings for the first time. Muddy sound)

View thread

David_T
David_T
06/15/2022 4:19 pm

EDIT: SOLVED: Noob mistake, the string was an octave down. Thank you.

Hi, whos it going? I hope everythings fine...; Im having a bit of a problem and im hoping you guys can help.

So im a total guitar noob. I changed guitar strings for the first time today (yay) and now some strings sound muddy. I mean they all sound very powerful now, but the A string now sounds quite muddy and bassy. Lower E string to a lesser extent too.

Upon close inspection, all seems fine in the tuning pegs(not perfect, but i think its ok) and the nut, as far as my knowledge goes. The strings are tuned to EADGBE. I did not touch the pickups. I tried lowering the gain in the amp (blackstar fly 3) but the A string still seems to pack more oomph! than the lower E string and all the other strings. The strings are the D´Addario EXL110 10-46, same as i had before on the guitar (Ibanez RG 421AHM). So same strings, i did not touch intonation(i dont know how to do it anyways). I also played with tone on the guitar and the 5 way selector.

I read somewhere that maybe i need to play a little and hopefully they will be better soon?

The A string sounds almost like a bass sometimes, if i give it enough gain. I dont remember it being like this before; i used the old strings for 2 years though. And my guitar has humbuckers, i heard that has some influence.

So i was hoping, maybe, if i did something wrong i can learn from the mistake and begin to change strings by my own at a more sensible frequency. Maybe im missing something i dunno.

Any feedback would be positive feedback.

Alright thanks in advance guys. cheers

Ceiling Cat

EDIT: oh, i remember one thing. when i took out the old A string, its tuning peg was just a little bit slightly loose(the only one loose). the other pegs were fine, rock solid. i checked it now and with the new string in place its not loose though. i dunno if this has something to do with the sound problem