View post (how do you play with "feeling")

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/24/2003 5:48 pm
Just asking how to play with feeling is the wrong approach. Like what alot of people are saying, it's something that can't be taught. Yeah learn as many techniques as you can so you can play them, but playing with feeling is playing them in a certain way that expresses feeling. Just like with rhythm especially if you use a drum machine or metronome, it's impossible to play with feeling. Yeah the notes "melody" themselves may express feeling, but it's also the way you play them. You notice starting off slow then speeding up in the melody expresses feeling, just like how hard or soft you play those notes. The best way I could think of when guiding someone to play with more feeling is to put your heart into it. Learn how to express what your feeling through your instrument. Music is another form of communication, so really your telling your story through music. SO speak through your instrument. You feel sad, play the notes that sound sad, you feel mad play the notes that sound strong. Put your heart into it, that's all.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.