View post (Laminate guitar)

View thread

snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
05/11/2022 3:15 pm

I played a Yamaha FG180 for years. It has good tone and projection. I got it as a kid and it was not until I wore through the top veneer on the sound hole that I realized the top was made of thin plywood. It was a sruprise, because I had never thought the guitar lacked anything in regard to the sound. I wouldn't use it for a real gig or a recording but...In fact, I still have that guitar and use it when I go camping or to festivals. Don't want to mess up my Martin with dirt and life around the campfire. It is still a good guitar and serves this utilititarian purpose very well. This, despite it being over 50 years old.

Volume and tone can be acheived with plywood, my half centruy old Yamaha proves it. I don't immagine that it is easy, but making good guitars is difficult even with great wood. That is the magic art of Luthiers, and this archane skill is evident in how well it plays and sounds.

My old ax also holds up to abuse around the campfire quite well. I would't use it to make a high quality recording, but for howling at the moon it is still a great instrument. I also don't have to freak out with somebody spills some beer on it... wipe it up and continue playing...

Captcha is a total pain in the........