View post (Pick sound dragging the strings)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/24/2022 2:48 pm
Originally Posted by: pine2What seems to be happening is that I need to loosen my "grip" on the pick a bit when stroking up&down, in order to control the volume and also to make the volume of all strings more equal on the upstroke: For example not to have a louder high E string on upstrokes.[/quote]

A relaxed grip will definitely help. Also, make sure the pick is tilted slightly in the direction of the strum so the pick glides across the top of the strings. That will lead to the next objective: do not dig in too far. You only want the tip of the pick to graze over the top of the strings. The more it dips below the plane of the strings then more chance it's going to get caught, hung up, making uneven sounds & unwanted scrapping noises. This also makes it harder to play smoothly & efficiently.

[quote=pine2]Is there anything I can do about it, or is it just the nature of playing guitar more silently?

You could try a string dampener, or fret wrap as they are often called these days. You'll see many YT people using them these days. You can place them near the nut.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Guitar-Fret-Strings-Mute-Noise-Damper-Muter-Wraps-Guitar-Beam-Tape-For-Guitars-Bass-Ukulele-String-Instruments/914639098

There is also a kind for placement near the bridge.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32995670640.html

You can probably achieve the same result with a piece of cloth or fabric wrapped around the strings in either location. It might be worth experimenting with before buying anything.

However, the primary objective here is to just play lighter. Use a lighter, more relaxed touch overall. This is something you should aim to do as a matter of standard technique anyway. But playing even lighter will help achieve a quieter sound.

However, in the end playing guitar does create some sound. That is the nature of the endeavor. :)

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory