View post (Riffs)

View thread

aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/21/2022 12:47 am

Hey Elizabeth, you can ask Anders directly by posting your question in the "Ask Anders Mouridsen" forum. He thoughtfully answers every single question posted in that forum.

I've asked Anders basically that same question in the past, although I was focused on learning theory rather than chords. Anders is of the "If you're having fun, you're less likely to quit" school of thought. Many (perhaps even most) beginners want to start playing (songs, licks, riffs, whatever) as soon as possible, regardless of how small their skill set is at the time. So Anders teaches a lot of techniques up front and later introduces a lot of chords and theory.

Lisa McCormick's Guitar Fundamentals 1 & 2 courses are radically different from Anders' in terms of approach. She teaches a lot of chords and theory up front. Techniques, riffs, licks come later in the course.

It's a personal preference. Both learning tracks are excellent and both Ander's and Lisa are gifted engaging teachers. I'll go out on a limb and say that given your medical training, you are a "Gotta learn the fundamentals first" type of person (so am I). In which case it would probably suit you better to do Lisa's Guitar Fundamentals 1 & 2 courses. You can always come back and finish Anders' GF 1 & 2 courses after you've finished with Lisa. That's how I proceded and happy that I did it that way.

Hope that helps. Have a great ride :)

Nicolai