View post (Muting strings)

View thread

aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/22/2022 3:08 am

Hey pherold0822, you obviously did some good research as Taylor's GS-mini is IMO a great little guitar. However, you sound like a big person and a beginner. You combine that with a guitar that you can't play and you have a recipe for the kind of frustration that often leads to fledgling guitarists just throwing in the towel.

I'm not saying that you won't eventually be able to easily and effectively play a GS-mini (I believe you will) but it seems clear that you cannot play it right now. And now is a very crucial time for you. I suggest getting as big a guitar as you can comfortably handle. Go to your local Guitar Center and try out different sized guitars.

There's no formal sizing nomenclature or specifications for guitars so different companies have different sized guitars and use different descriptors. Here are a couple lineups:

I'm 5' 4" with proportionally sized hands and even I find the GS-mini a bit too small for my taste. For reference, the GS-Mini is approximately the size of a Parlor or a 00, at least in the above lineups. I have a Martin 00 which is bigger than the above 00 so remember that guitar sizes are not standard across different brands. The flattest, roomiest fretboard easily belongs to the Classical, but realize that's a nylon string guitar.

Whichever size of guitar you choose (including the GS-mini), muting is going to be less and less of a problem as you progress. For two reasons:

1.) Your muscles and brain will eventually optimize the placement of your fingers on the strings.

2.) You'll develop thick calluses that will allow you to press a string down without your soft fingertips spreading out over the fretboard like tiny toilet plungers.

BTW, have you ever heard that pretty ukulele mash-up of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/It's a Wonderful World"? That uke is being played by a 700 lb Hawaiian (Israel Kamakawiwo' ole) with fingers the size of bratwursts. It's totally mindbending to watch him play.

Nicolai