View post (The C Major Chord)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
12/30/2021 2:33 pm
Originally Posted by: texbrackdelmonte007

Hi All,

I have been playing on and off a few years, but decided 2022 is the year I get serious, so joined up here and doing Ander's course, some of it is a refresher but good to go over the basics

The only chord I struggle with is the C major I can play it, but where I find it tricky is if I am playing faster or changing from a G etc, I find that my c chord is my least clear under these circumstances, and it does not always sound great, if I just play it on it's own, only causes me issues when playing songs and when its an increased tempo, this damn C chord has always been the one to cause me issues

Any tips?

Thanks

[br]Craig

I've been playing since 1981 and I hate the C maj chord. I always have. It's right up there with a proper F maj barre chord (..and I find that one easier).

The point I'm making is that the C maj chord is an awkward chord. To me, it is something of an unnatural position for your hand and fingers mostly because the index finger is a bit like a 'string' that tugs down on the middle and ring finger just a bit. To be honest, I don't know that my C maj chords are all that spectacular. You'd never know it but I can tell.

For those that have longer fingers, it's an easier thing to do but with me and average sized hands, it takes a bit of work that I've just built in to my ability to play that chord.

That's actually the point; pratice the chord and with changes. After a while, you'll get used to how you should play but I felt that was a chord that was never all that easy in my early years.