How long does it really take to get good at guitar

AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
12/26/2021 11:39 am

Just my thoughts on this question.

To me it's like " how long is a piece of string "

I think you've gotta ask yourself what you actually want to do/learn.

My journey thus far is slow going but already mentioned about the Anders quote

" Make sure you have fun"

I wanted to learn lead guitar when I 1st joined this site, although thats still a goal of mine , I've since learned a ton of songs that I can play all the way through with chords.

Unless you have unlimited time each day, you have to have a practice routine of what you want to concentrate on.

Sorry for long post

# 1
paulcavaliere
Full Access
paulcavaliere
Full Access
12/26/2021 7:28 pm

10,000 hours.

The 10,000 hour rule, was popularized by Malcolm Gladwell’s blockbuster book “Outliers.” As Gladwell tells it, the rule goes like this: it takes 10,000 hours of intensive practice to achieve mastery of complex skills and materials, like playing the guitar.

Gladwell describes one central study in particular, about which he writes: “their research suggests that once a musician has enough ability (talent) to get into a top music school, the thing that distinguishes one performer from another is how hard he or she works. That’s it.”

More research was then done which adds complexity to the rule. i.e. Practice is important, but what to focus on will accelerate improvement. In other words having a good course or teacher to direct your practice.

Or you can learn 5 chords in a week and then play thousands of songs and be happy.

# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/26/2021 11:56 pm
Originally Posted by: paulcavaliere

Or you can learn 5 chords in a week and then play thousands of songs and be happy.

Perhaps the most important consideration... have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
kkusu5591
kkusu5591
01/01/2022 12:00 pm

I've been playing for decades, on and off, and still can't shred.

https://authorityapk.com/mobdro/ https://vidm.fun/vidmate/ mobdro[br]vidmate

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.