View post (How long does it really take to get good at guitar)

View thread

Jersey Red
Full Access
Jersey Red
Full Access
12/09/2021 9:54 pm

Hey Jlew,

The first time I attempted to learn guiar I was round 22 years old. I paid for lessons at the local music store and basically went nowhere. I didn't understand what was in the lesson books, the instructor had no passion for educating, and I quickly became disillusioned with the idea and sold my guitar.

Last year at the age of 61 I decided to try again. Now I'm retired, have more time ( and less $$ ).

By this point in my life I am disabled, have carpal tunnel, nerve damage, & arthirits in both arms & hands. I know I have ADHD which makes it difficult at best to learn and comprend, yet alone play, guitar. I just signed up for my second tour on Guitar Tricks because it works well for me.

I struggle daily with the ability to repeat even simple lessons, or recall what I did learn days before.

My personal journey in guitar is often frustrating and empty due to my challenges, but when I pick up my Les Paul and try and push and I do not give in....I love it.

I never will be able to play the way I would love to, but everyone has a different road in their studies. For some it all comes easy, for some, well.........

If not for Guitar Tricks I never would have gotten as far as I have been able to come.

" And the days that I keep my graditude higher than my expectations......Well I have really good days"