View post (Just starting and somewhat frustrated at myself)

View thread

cheaviag
cheaviag
11/06/2021 12:51 pm
Originally Posted by: mjgodin

We've all been there. It's a common problem. Beginners will tend to press down on the string a bit too much to get a clean tone cause they haven't developed callouses on the fingertips yet. So whats happening is your finger tip flesh is flattening out and touching the other strings.

If your placing your fingertip where the instructor tells you then you don't need to press down so hard. Also some guitars like the Fender Squires have narrower necks so string spacing is tighter which for larger fingers could make it a more difficult. Next time your in a guitar store try a few other models out just to see if it makes a difference.

This will all work itself out over time and performing the spider leg exercises will definately help with dexterity and mobility.

Oh and enjoy the small increments. Sometimes thats all we can really hope for but they add up over time.

Moe

My callouses have started to form and the problem i had with the E minor is resolving itself, spider excercise is still a problem getting the little finger to come down straight onto the string but it's improving, I found on you tube a great little finger stretching excercise that has definately helped my left hands dexterity (it's even easier typing now lol) but as for now I listen to the lesson, and then I practice it and practice it until its downpat and sounds clean, I bought a practice amp but the greatest help atm is that I purchased a Focusrite Scarlett Solo, this enables me to listen to the lesson AND my guitar with headsets on through the computer, this prevents me from annoying my wife and frightening the dogs. I use the Amp only when I'm practicing, but for the lessons i use the focusrite, being able to do both quietly and with headsets is a big help.