View post (Just starting and somewhat frustrated at myself)

View thread

snpfarm
snpfarm
10/19/2021 8:03 pm
Originally Posted by: brandon.c.mchenry

Hi all

I am 49 and just bought a Fender Squier package to get started. Never played before but I want to learn badly. I realize patience and form is key for any discipline but sometimes I get really frustrated with myself. I have very short, fat fingers and find myself in a lot of uncomfortable positions trying to reach strings and not mute nearby strings as I practice. Please tell me this is a normal muscular issue and my tendons and muscles will learn to stretch properly as I continue to practice :) I suspect as much but beginning to feel like I am never going to be able to bend my wrist and place my fingers correctly.

Going to keep at it regardless, I am really want to learn and be able to play for my own fun.

Brandon

I too have short fingers so I understand where youre coming from. Short fingers does limit me on what I can and can't play. When learning a song that has a "non-short finger friendly" section I try to figure out a work around. The more you play the more freely your fingers and hands will move. Google " guitar hand yoga " or " guitar finger stretching excercises " Don't give up!!

This trying to get my left hand and right hand to work together is driving me crazy!