View post (Boredom and a change of direction)

View thread

mjgodin
mjgodin
10/13/2021 12:34 am

While I'm not a musician, by any means, I understand what your saying about being bored with certain things. I tried learning guitar back in the early eighties and at that time just wanted to play rock. My instructor, after teaching me the fundamentals was teaching country music cause that's all he knew.

Well I gave up guitar shortly thereafter and fast forward into the early 2000's and I found myself listening to more country and folk music cause like you I started getting bored of rock. It didn't seem to make any sense to me anymore. I can appreciate some of it and I still listen to some of the old stuff (Motly Crue, Poison, Van Halen, Heart to name few) when I'm feeling nostalgic. Country just seems to speak to me now.

As for my guitar playing, well im sort of starting over after a 40 year hiatus, but have made so much more headway with GT. I play many genres and styles, but really love fingerpicking the most. Can't get enough of it. I'm currently in acoustic 2 and have also done some of the country 1&2, but had to skip some sections as lead playing and chicken picken are just not sticking to me. I think I'm more a rythm player anyway. Maybe in a few more years. I do play a few easy leads on my electric, but no ones gonna mistake me for being a shredder

One suggestion, if I may, is that theres an awful lot of YouTube artists that are taking contemporary classic songs and doing finger style versions of them. There's even a band called The Peterson's that do bluegrass variations of these songs that sound really good. Have you tried doing something like that? Take the rock songs your band plays and change em up. Put a different spin on them with other kinds of string instruments. It might reinvigorate some of it for you. Just a thought. [br][br]

Moe