View post (Boredom and a change of direction)

View thread

DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/12/2021 9:50 pm

I've been playing guitar for several decades now, although with a break brought on by other commitments of around 15 years in the middle; acoustic to begin with, then moved on to mainly electric.

A few bands later, and I found myself at the start of this Covid-19 completely bored. Fed up with playing rock music, and with no focus or musical direction. (The biggest setback of being in a band is having to play the same songs over and over, which is made worse if you're growing generally bored with the genre - also, so many pub bands play rock covers). Lockdown rules also prevented getting together with other musicians (I'm in the UK)

Thankfully, my son bought me a subscription to GT as a Father's Day gift. I pretty much raced through GF 1&2 in a couple of days, then decided to give Country 1&2 a try.

I'm now happily working on playing techniques that I previously neglected (chicken picking is especially fun, as is hybrid picking).

I've also decided my next band or project will be playing country.

Has anybody else had a similar change in musical direction, and music listened to, since joining GT?

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......