View post (How to use a looper pedal?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
10/09/2021 8:52 pm

I heartily endorse your desire for a looper.

Given the range of effects already available within pretty much every contemporary digital modelling practice amp today, a looper pedal is arguably the first pedal any student should buy and [u]learn to use purposefully[/u] -when they're ready to go there.

Why? Most useful tool as a training aid, as well as a lot of fun later on.

Other than intrinsic to amp and multi-effects processors looping, there are two basic types as loop pedals. The simpler TC Electronics Ditto mini-pedal style, or the more featured like BOSS Loop Stations segmented into price and feature point models. i.e. RC-1, RC-3, RC-3 etc. [br][br]Here's an "all about" guide from BOSS themselves.

[br]Like all things BOSS, they're excellent products, but OUCH! pricey. Similarly the Ditto, which has since evolved into the Ditto+ from TC Electronics. Unless you want to, you don't [u]need[/u] to spend that kind of money to buy an equally fully featured quality built reliable looper unless made of $$$ or crave the BOSS or TC Electronics logos.

I have a clone of the Ditto original (then the current model) and a BOSS RC-3 clone. Had them both since late 2017 or early 2018. Although a [u]quality & functionality first[/u] buyer, retired now on a fixed income I'm on a value for money budget. So I prefer to pay for functionality rather than a hefty premium for brand associative status marketing which permits me to divert those significant savings into other stuff I want.

Seen here, the KOKKO SOS mini is the (original) Ditto clone, and my NUX Loop Core the RC-3 clone.. Had them since early 2018. I bought the mini first. Having used both now for near four years, I prefer the NUX as regardless its superior feature set and greater learning curve, surprisingly its the easier of the two to use once coming to grips with it. That said, if you just wanted to dip your feet into the looping water, an inexpensive mini clone is a solid alternative way to go. It does the job, and will be all you will need initially as a student save not having any drum rhythms. You can get something with a fuller range of features later once you have a feel for looping and know better what you can use, need and really want.

[br]The NUX has been upgraded since to the Loop Core Deluxe, the current model AFAIK, although I'm given to understand the Loop Core is also still available.

The fact is that today, the clones today are all just as well built externally and internally, reliable, and feature for feature at a fraction of the price of BOSS. Made in China of course, but isn't almost everything electronic? e.g. BOSS, Fender, Blackstar amps.

Hope that helps you come to grips with everything looper pedals. When it comes to looping, like guitar there's no substitute for just getting stuck in hands on exposure and experience. Have fun with it. Cheers.

P.S. Curiosity question. Was a footswitch supplied in the box with the 50W version of the Katana or did you buy one as an accessory?