View post (Guitar suggestions idea)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
10/06/2021 8:52 pm
Originally Posted by: Violanted

Hey All,

I am very new here started around about 2 months ago, and so far is going really well learning foundamental with Lisa, all is going great.

I am piano organ player since 12 years now so I have an understanding music, I play live as keyboard player, on a band that does some Deep Purple covers or some other piece copied or inspired to this band with some Blues inspiration.

Here it comes why learning the guitar, I love it and no matter how long it will take I will go through this long journey. Actually seems that things and learning is going really well and moving fast.

However my guitar model is an Epiphone Les Paul special II Slash. It is really good for the price and end quality. However my hands fingers are really short, example cannot do the spider exercise, anyone that started as beginner this is on the first few lessons of guitar foundamentals. Lisa in one lesson advised if that could be an issue there are guitars with shorter neck and possibly larger fret board since my fingers are little fatty but main concern is to have a shorter neck, anyone can suggest a model?

Though that Slash is a great Epiphone guitar, some Les Paul necks can be a bit larger. Though believe that model has what's known for Les Paul's as a 60's slim taper. So another Les Paul might not be the path forward.

You may want to look towards Fender/Squire Stratocaster-type models. A good place to start is learning about different Strat neck profile types. From what you explain, the 'C' style might be a good bet. These can be very comfortable to play if you have smaller hands.

I have average sized hands and have a number of guitars with different profiles and when I jump between them, I notice how that Strat C profile makes it easy to grab a note.

Depending on your budget, you might want to look at the Fender Player series as, for under $1000, a great value and a really quality guitar.