I want to skip learning about chords, can I?

Sour_Note
Full Access
Sour_Note
Full Access
10/10/2021 2:47 am
Originally Posted by: Benjamin Tan

I've been learning with GT for a while, nearly completed guitar fundamentals 1.

I really want to know how to play fingerstyle and learn the scales, and notes on the guitar so I can improvise whatever I want.

I find it very hard to go through the steps of learning all the chords in the fundamentals course, and due to me being uninterested, I am hardly absorbing anything I learned.

All I wanted to do is learn the notes on guitar and fingerstyle so I could improvise whatever I want. I really don't want to go through every step just because it is structured that way.

Any thoughts?

PS: I was full of passion before studying music in university, once I joined, so many rules, you must do this and that, you have to be this and learn that. After completing my final course, I wanted to DIE and quit music because I have to do everything that I don't like, I am forced to do those things. I always think I'm not good enough, cuz Im doing things don't even like. I became as dead as a robot and as lost as a sheep. Totally destroyed my passion. I'm still 'recovering' now. This is just a side note.

I think as long as you understand the concept of the chord (which it sounds like you do given your background). I don't think you "need" to continue in GF course and concentrate on chords. Especially if you are disinterested in this. If you get hung up on something in the future you can always go back. Please take this with a grain of salt as I am an inexperienced guitarist. I found myself bored a time or 2 and just jumped out to a song or riff then jumped back in to fulfill the lesson I was working on. That said, I can understand what you are experiencing. [br][br][br]

Also there are scales in GF2 which I enjoyed (much more than chords)

best of luck

# 1
conbeguane1977
conbeguane1977
08/06/2022 3:15 am

I'm new to playing guitar. Read each comment to do better. Love all

# 2
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
09/26/2022 7:36 pm

Splitting hairs here, but can you - meaning do you have the ability to/are you capable of doing so? The answer is yes, of course.
Should you? Another question entirely.

Not being a smart ass here. Sounds like you've made your decision already but are looking for some backing.

I'd say go for what turns you on but don't be surprised if, as Christopher gently suggests, you end up learning chords anyway in spite of yourself.

By the way - fingerpicking has been my thing for a long, long time.  You won't regret a moment spent.

# 24
dbvirago
dbvirago
10/23/2022 11:35 pm

I often find that I struggle with a certain fingering until the light goes off and I realize what chord it is built from. Learning chords means learning chord changes and that will help you get your fingers in place quicker and easier. Just my .02

# 24
mcchuck47
Full Access
mcchuck47
Full Access
11/19/2022 3:16 pm

Benjamin, I would say you have a good foundation about music theory, you know the notes in the chords and shapes and can pick individual notes out of those chords and shapes, make it your own with your own style and have fun.

# 25

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.