View post (I want to skip learning about chords, can I?)

View thread

snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
10/03/2021 2:49 pm

If you don't want to play chords.... Perhaps Rap and/or Poetry/ or Accounting would be a better fit. Western Music, without chords, is like landscape painting without solvents or canvas. But I suspect that if you finished 4 years of music school, you must know this.

I have been playing guitar on and off since I was 12 years old. I worked on jazz chords, rock chords, folk chords for years, until I thought I understood chords. It was not until decades down the road that I decided I wanted to play lead guitar. To my surprise it took me right back to learning about chords, ALL OVER AGAIN!!

Western music is built on a highly evolved use of Harmony. How can you develop your sence of melody without activly working on chord theory??

You can learn it through lessons (which can come quickly).... or you can learn it through the crash test dummy approach (witch is MUCH slower). That, and the woodshed, in fact, is how I learned most of my skills. But when I learned, there were no interwebz, or guitar tricks. Just me and records and a lot of time to practice. I learned that way... but it was slow progress getting there.

I think you are saying that you get bored with the fundementals lessons. That is not a uncomon result when people with prior experience start GT. If so you could try going past those lessons. But, if you don't already have a frim grasp of the material, you will have to learn those lessons the hard way, by bashing into them with blind enthusiasum... Again and Again.

When I started GT I skipped the fundementals. But I finally went through them to brush up on details. I was surprised to find that I did pick up useful info, even after playing the instrutment for DECADES! It didn't make me an overnight sensation, but it helps to be on the same page as the instructors. I also had absolutly no intrest in learning all the "Mary Had a Little La La".... songs... So I didn't do that part of the program. I did pick up useful info that clarified the directions that I am now studying.

Now I study the lesson topics that interest me. What I am trying to say is that there are many ways to go through learning on GT. But I will be currious as to how you fare in playing music without a deep understanding of chords and chord theory.

Captcha is a total pain in the........