View post (Getting started again)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
09/23/2021 4:44 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

I couldn't play in the '70s (I tried) but that radio of mine doesn't seem to be able to find anything but channels from the '60s and '70s. Music may have continued beyond that but I'm not sure... I can't swear to it.

[p]

Clearly the same for me. I mean, I do dig Markus King. Tedeschi Trucks and the like but in the end, that stuff sounds a whole lot like stuff from the 70's.

There are times where I think to myelf that I might be smallminded about current popular music overall and then I wade in to that swamp. Nope. Pretty much garbage. I mean, in any other era, you would never had Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow!

I find myself going back and learning riffs from the 70's. Lately I've been tooling around with Free's 'All Right Now' (an easy one), the Feetwood Mac song 'Oh Well', though I am predisposed to the Rockets version. Or Montrose 'Rock Candy'. Just big, great guitar riffs and one very different from the other.

Funny, I was ay a pizzaria in St Augustine a week ago and there was a music trivia thing going on and a lot of the 'questions' were current songs and people would reply and so on but then one was Skynyrd 'Gimme Three Steps' and when the sound sample was stopped, everyone was all like 'Play it!'. Not just the oldies. There were people in their 20's not looking all to old school that were jammin' as much as anyone. Hearing Skynyrd against the backdrop of those other songs, it was easy to see why us oldies and even young'ns are drawn too it. It was very much a standout and fresh air as compared to other, more recent songs.