View post (Newbie from JustinGuitar Beginner level 1 Complete)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/28/2021 5:22 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat[br]Many are unaware of the existence of and extant availability of access on Guitar Tricks to the previous iteration of GT Fundamentals 1 as taught by Christopher Schlegel.[/quote]

Thanks for the mention & the links! FWIW, I think it's good that GT provides the option for students to follow mine or Lisa's curriculum.

[quote=manXcat]P.S. I just belatedly realised Christopher follows a simple chord approach too earlier in his Fundamentals 1 program.

Yes, that's just a standard part of traditional guitar pedagogy. It can be a helpful small first step for beginners that are struggling.

Another reason I think it's helpful is that it matches basic music theory (& piano) pedagogy: a chord only requires 3 notes. If you skip that knowledge, which some guitar programs do, you wind up thinking that the only way to make any given chord is the static open shapes.

So, it helps physical technique by only requiring one finger & minimal strumming. And it helps conceptually to set the precedence that a chord requires a minimum of 3 notes & there is a variety of ways to play any given chord.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory