View post (Ideas for P90's)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
09/28/2021 11:55 pm
Originally Posted by: martobluesman

I love to have decent P90's that have sweet tone for blues and hard rock, I don't want to break the bank but this guitar is a keeper, well built , incredible sustain, and never goes out of tune really thanks to the Wilkinson Bridge and Tuners, any ideas would be great

A fan of P90 pickups too, and also a fan of Korean made Wilkinson branded pickups in general, TMK, I don't think Wilkinson's P90s are wax potted. [br][br]IMPE so far, I haven't found absence of cavity shielding critical. In fact the only guitar so far I've experienced feedback issues with was cavity shielded (paint) and only the bridge pickup of the Roswell covered humbucker paired set, both medium output (8.4k) PAF type alnico V. The microphonics on the bridge pickup were just crazy. If adjusting the pickup:string height spacing doesn't eliminate it as the primary contributing cause, alternative pickups or wax pot the bobbins?

Watch this. Vid is a few years old now, but might be one inexpensive solution if you're handy? [br][br]If not comfortable potting them yourself, pay a luthier to do it for you?

Obvious alternative of course, is try swapping out for alternative P90s. Other than my own personal experience with OEM G&B, I haven't really any suggestions I can personally recommend to Wilkinsons other than the obvious which can usually be depended upon in any pickup IMPE, i.e. Seymour or DiMarzio of your preference. [br][br]Anecdotal comparitive. I have two guitars fitted with P90s now. The PAC311H is P90 neck only but (edit: memory fail, overstated the output in my initial write) a [u]medium output[/u] P90 at 8.4k. Tone and performance so similar to Seymour Duncan's SP90-1n in every respect, it's difficult to distinguish between the two, by my ear at least. The other (Revstar RS502T) has neck and bridge P90s. (NB: not me playing here. I wish -a role model) All P90 pickups in this instance manufactured by G&B Korea. The Pacifica's are a G&B off the shelf spec AFAIK, whereas the ones in the Revstar rebadged as YGD were engineered by G&B to Yamaha Guitar Development design spec. All plastic case covered. I don't think they are wax potted, but none squeal.[br][br]Have two guitars I have retrofitted with OEM Korean Wilkinson branded pickups and other Wilkinson hardware tuners, bridge, saddles, but a Tele (Wilkinson Alnico set) & HH (Wilkinson WHHS set), no Wilkinson P90s. Nevertheless a Wilk fan here too. [br][br]GL & keeps us posted on how you go.