View post (One Year Guitarversary)

View thread

Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
06/28/2021 8:18 pm

It has been one year since I received my acoustic guitar. It has been a wonderful year of music making, even with my hand surgery this spring. It has also served as a "gateway instrument". I picked up the ukulele in November and the piano this spring. I am adding my fourth instrument this week, a Guitarlele. I'm so excited for that as I'm anxious to compose more instrumental music. (I published a book of instrumental music for the picking hand for the ukuele while I was going through my hand surgery.)

I would have never learned so much if it weren't for Guitar Tricks and the lessons with Lisa and others, including the Friday night YouTube Live's with Mike.

Even though it's been three months since my hand surgery and I'm almost 100% again, playing the guitar a little too much still really aggravates it. That's also why I'm anxious for the Gutiarlele. It's the size of a tenor ukulele but has six strings so it has a nice, full sound. I'll be starting out taking a Blues course for it.

I am still wanting to write songs (with lyrics). I am currently working on plans of how in the world I'm going to juggle four instruments. The good thing is that it sort of works itself out. Some days I cant sit at the piano because of joint swelling, so those are good days to elevate my legs on the couch where I can also noodle around with the ukulele because of the small size. And there's always book work and video lessons I can do from the couch as well.

Thanks to everyone who's been so helpful and supportive this last year! I've attached a little collage of my music making adventures.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor