View post (Playing in TIME & in SYNC w/ more technical tunes)

View thread

SRVFan2000
SRVFan2000
06/17/2021 2:10 pm

Thanks Chris- this is exactly what I needed to hear. It reminds me of martial arts- you have to drill each move 1000x's until they are automatic (and have 3+ back-up moves if one fails.)

I think part of my problem honestly, is a lack of talent and a lack of a good ear. I am not being self-defeating as much as I am being brutally realistic. I work hard at it and I think I will eventually get better (these lessons help), but realistically, I never see myself playing like you or Steve. Playing in time is something I have always struggled with. Fortunately I am not trying to be a professional musician. At least I really do still enjoy learning and improving to be the best that I can be.

These tips really will really help me to keep my focus- slow things down and try to commit each phrase to muscle memory. I've done that with some SRV tunes in the past and now I can play them accurately, fast and they sound great. If however you put a metronome on or require me to play certain phrases consistently to match with the song, that will never happen. It's the same with piano. I can sit there and play and I've been told it sounds great- but I know it is nothing more than amatuer playing. I could never hang with a group all playing together. Still I have fun with it too. Ironically, I use to play drums...so at least I am familiar with 1/16th note syncopation. To your point, my drum instructor didn't let me play on a drum set for months. We drilled playing notes on an old Remo drum pad before I earned the right to touch a real set. My first tune was Rikki Don't Lose That Number by Steely Dan. I never realized that drums had notes!

I have played a lot with backing tracks and usually do ok. If the song is forgiving and does not require precision (like a simple 12 bar blues), I can hang just fine with the rythm. This song is tricky and not really open to a lot of freeplay. Each phrase is dependant on the one that came before it. That, along with not having committed each phrase to memory is tripping me up. I hope I have the patience to learn it. I tend to learn enough to get by, then move on to the next tune that catches my attention. Sometimes Good (enough) Truly can be the Enemy of Great.

THANK YOU!