View post (How to best learn the major scale)

View thread

SRVFan2000
SRVFan2000
06/07/2021 5:18 pm

I learned the mPenta one shape at a time. I can find the 5 shapes for the major scale online and I can learn in that order. I have however noticed that many people play shape 1 differently. They seem to hit the same note (tones) but use different frets. e.g., they start on A (5th fret 6th tring) and the pattern on that string is 5, 7, 9 (same on 5th string)...whereas the more common Pattern found online, suggests you start also on string 6, 5th fret (5-7), then it goes down to the 5th string, then 4th to complete the scale. I know they sound identical (or near identical), both are correct and that notes are everywhere (shapes are just suggestions.) For easy learning purposes though, can anyone suggest which is the better shape to learn? I want to eventually be able to link all the shapes together like I do with the mPenta so having a consistent road map is very important.

I'll also have to find some slides to link one to the other unless someone knows some good ones that work. Are there any good lessons on this that I can use as a reference? I don't have a great ear- it's slowly getting better but at least for now, I rely (and like) using shapes/patterns.

Thanks!