View post (Applying mPentatonic)

View thread

SRVFan2000
SRVFan2000
06/04/2021 2:29 pm

I was watching a YTube video- if you want to check it out to follow along with what I am saying, it's called 6 note solo technique (S. Stine is the teacher.) The chord chasing part is at 11:10.

At first, he was teaching a simple riff and later chord chasing. He showed how over an A chord, you can simply go to the 5th fret and play the 6 notes of the mPenta starting on the 5th string (2-4, 2-4, 2-4.) Easy enough- all those notes are in the Am Penta, but then he said if the chords change, you can chase them. He referenced D, then G. When he changed chords, it appears like he went to the same relative area (one string below the root D to play the 6 note pattern, then the same for G.) It sounded like it worked when he did it but to me, those notes on the D, G, didn't seem to fit in with e.g., Am Penta pattern. What am I missing? By themselves, they work perfect, but if it's in a key- I am not sure they should.

He commented that if music always made sense, we wouldn't have rock n roll!

My questions...

Do you think he was just showing random examples- or trying to play this in one given key? Logically, I would think it has to be random because I don't think those notes would work- but he referenced, "when the chords change" which suggest he is playing it all as one piece.

I don't even know what Key A G and D would fit into - maybe G-flat major...but then a mPenta would not seem to work.

I did ask the same question to him in the video, but I haven't heard back yet. He made it seem very simple but I am confused.

At one point, he played all threee chords and stayed in the Am penta scale pattern the entire time (exactly what I would normally do.) He even said, that sounds awesome. Again, I am just not sure how he then started the mPenta pattern at the location of each new chord- it shouldn't work that way. Usually I know 1 key, and I stick to that scale because all the notes, and the most important root fits. I can find all the locations for the root and emphasize it to make it sound right.

Is he just doing a bit of improvising- am I over thinking it? I like structure because without it, I would not know where to go next. I probably do not have the best ear so I mostly rely on patterns and scales. I still use an electronic tuner!