View post (How, how, how, HOW to switch from G to F??)

View thread

SRVFan2000
SRVFan2000
06/06/2021 12:52 am

You are probably just defeating yourself honestly. Now you are hyper aware of it and stressing out and making it worse. This is where sometimes having an in person instructor can help. When someone can watch you and give advise and encouragment on the spot, it can really help.

I've never had this issue- and I've played a lot of guitars including cheap ones. All I can think of is...

1. Get some in person instruction to look over your mechanics.

2. Do some hand strengthening drills.

3. Practice it higher up the necks (say A major barre chord to C# to E.) to develop muscle memory. Drill it literally 100 times- then do it again, every day! Works for me.

4. To troubleshoot and eliminate the guitar, go to GC and try playing some expensive electric guitars with correct (read low) action and see if the issue is gone. It might just be that your guitar action is way too high at the first fret. They can often lower the nut on your guitar to make playing easier (or, just buy a new guitar!) It might also be a truss rod thing.

5. Put a capo (at loosest setting that still sounds good) at the 10th fret- then keep going lower. If it sounds worse at the F, you are on to something! Also, just visually look at the string height. Using lighter weight strings might also help.

6. It could, and probably is a combination of all the above.