View post (question for piano peeps)

View thread

DirkGabriel
Full Access
DirkGabriel
Full Access
03/22/2021 11:33 am

Hi Susan,

I'm a starting guitar player myself but have also a piano in my "music cave" for a few weeks now. Soon it will be tuned (it dates from the interwar period). My wife has a classical education and plays based on notations. I bought myself a textbook to learn to play the piano based on chords instead of notations. In this book, the link is made between chord and notation, so eventually you'll learn to play on notations.

[br]The book calls "Alfred's piano methode voor volwassenen". I'm Dutch speaking and live in Belgium but the book is a translation of Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course: Lesson Book 1: Piano Book. See: https://www.alfred.com/alfreds-basic-adult-piano-course-lesson-book-1/p/00-2236/

But first I want to get to know my guitar before I take the piano. Besides, I always take my guitar with me when we go to our weekend stay and that is rather difficult with a piano .

[br]What struck me was that once you know the structure of chords on a guitar well, it is very easy to discover them on a piano. So I think (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) it's easier to switch from guitar to piano than the other way around.

Of course, I have the advantage that my wife can teach me the piano, but first she has to accept that I don't think in do-re-mi-fa ... but in C-D-E-F ... Food for spicy discussions by the way :).

Good luck!

Greetings,

Dirk.