View post (question for piano peeps)

View thread

Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
03/22/2021 7:36 am

For those of you who play piano, did you learn before or after you started with the guitar? Do you find it easier to understand music theory with the guitar by playing piano?

I ask because I'm thinking of picking up yet another instrument. I'm thinking of getting a digital piano (semi weighted 88 key) to help me with theory. But also because I've always wanted to learn how to play. I'd love to know songs and write my own music. I've already been writing instrumental music for the ukulele. I would really love to finally know how to read notation and play it. (I understand it, I just can't apply it or read it per say).

If you have any tips for me as I begin this journey, that'd be great. But I'd really love to hear how piano has helped you improve on the guitar. (Perhaps so I can find out what I have to look forward to that I haven't thought of yet...?) :)

Thanks! Even though, as of tomorrow, I'll only have use of one hand for awhile (surgery on tuesday) I still plan to pursue this and get one here and set up. Luckily, I have just enough space for it in my apartment.

Oh, lessons...how did you go about lessons? Online? Specific website? Books? All of the above?

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor